Thursday, October 06, 2011

Game night


Game night
Originally uploaded by jbellis


The central Texas board game meetup meets on Wednesdays. It's tough to find a babysitter since that's Mutual night for the ward's teenagers, so we grabbed our chance with Brian in town to check it out.

Rachel played a marathon, eight player Munchkin session. I knew it wasn't going to be a short game from past experience (7 player Munchkin at PyCon a couple years ago), and I was right: it lasted about 90 minutes. (A four-player Munchkin round can be done in 30 minutes.)

I tried "Zombie Dash," a game being demoed by its owner, an indie publisher. There wasn't a whole lot of strategy. But it was done quickly, which worked out nicely, because just about then Corinna got fussy. I walked her around the store where the meetup was held, and we checked out their games and I looked up reviews on board game geek.

Finally, I took her to the grocery store across the parking lot, and pushing her around in a cart until she fell asleep.

Rachel heard that Steve Jackson comes to this meetup once or twice a month to playtest his new games. I told her that if Steve Jackson is there, I'll make an exception to my "no Munchkin with family members" rule.

We'll have to find more babysitting options so we can go back.

No comments: