Sunday, September 18, 2011

August peanuts, part 1

  • Isaac is more stubborn than the hook that was in his door to keep it closed. Back to teaching him to stay in his bedroom the hard way.
  • Oddly, picky Isaac is the only one of the kids who will eat Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Matthew and Melissa are strictly thin-crust only.
  • Rachel: "Wal-mart probably has a better price on tic-tacs than Home Depot." Matthew: "Yeah, it's $2.42 sub-total for a four-pack at wal-mart." The things you have brain cells to spare for, when you're eight.
  • Taiwanese neighbor, to Rachel: "I know everyone on the street. Except the woman from mainland China over there. I don't talk to her."
  • Austin is taunting me. The local wal-mart has Herr's chips... but only nasty ones like Honey Cheese Puffs.
  • Jeremy fixed Rachel's phone (to be able to use Android Market) after I failed. I will now go turn in my geek card.
  • Fat lady who looks like she's from "people of walmart" glared at me and muttered not-so-under her breath when I moved her kid's plastic boots from an otherwise-empty McDonald's booth, to the floor. Me: "I'm sorry, were you not done eating?" Fat lady: "We weren't eating."
  • [Twenty minutes later] McDonalds visit cut short by Isaac pooping his pants. Again.
  • There are three pizzerias within a reasonable drive advertising New York pizza. Tried the first today for Isaac's birthday party: it's ... well, "It's not the best pizza in Austin, but it's the closest," as one Yelp reviewer put it.
  • Me: "The founder of Five Guys really does have five sons." Rachel: "I'm not giving you five sons, sweetheart."

No comments: