Saturday, July 16, 2005

A great excitement

Rachel was putting Matthew to bed for the final time when he came rushing out of his room.

"Fire truck! Fire truck!"

We'd just had a brief power outage so I supposed it was possible that there was a fire truck in the neighborhood. We stepped out onto the front porch.

"See? Fire truck! Fire truck!"

No, I didn't see any fire trucks because there weren't any. I did HEAR several, though, racing off to the source of a huge pillar of smoke billowing over the houses in front of us. I tried to explain the difference between hearing and seeing but he wasn't paying attention.

"Fire truck! Fire truck!"

So I retrieved the book I was reading (1776) and sat down on the porch while Matthew enjoyed the smoke and the sound of sirens.

"Fire trucks! Nono! [water] Oh no! Too bad!"

All this and he got to postpone bedtime until the smoke and sirens died down!

No comments: